Dropping your smartphone from your hand can cause some serious damage to it. It may also lead you to a repair shop. Moreover, if you choose to buy a new one, it may cost hundreds of dollars.
A phone case can save your phone from getting cracked or taking significant damage in such an accident. It also protects the phone from dents and scratches and absorbs shock if you accidentally drop it.
But many people don’t want to ruin the original look of their phone by covering the entire back with a cover. The only thing they can use to protect their phone is a clear case.
Why do Mostly People Use a Clear Phone Case?
People love the elegant look of their phones and don’t want to cover it with a cheap and boring design. That’s why they tend to buy a case that can protect their phones without ruining their original look and appeal.
Clear cases are so popular because they don’t only offer good protection, but also keep a mobile’s original sleek look visible. They are good because they are simple, lightweight, and protective enough to fulfill major safety requirements.
Why Do Clear Phone Cases Turn Yellow?
A transparent phone cover turns yellow and dirty with time, no matter how careful you are. There are multiple reasons behind it, and it is a lot difficult to identify the exact issue that made your case discolored.
The most common reason your phone case turns yellow is excessive exposure to the sunlight. As most clear cases are made up of silicone or thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU), oxidation reaction due to the ultraviolet radiations from the sun causes polymers to degrade. It causes your clear case to turn yellow within one to two months.
However, all clear cases don’t turn yellow at the same pace. It depends on the quantity of silicon used in it. The more silicon it has, the faster it will turn yellow.
Is it Possible to Clean a Clear Phone Case?
Generally, the oxidation reaction causes a natural degradation process in polymers, which is irreversible. So it is not possible to turn a yellow case back to transparent as once it was.
However, if your clear case turned yellow, that doesn’t necessarily mean you can not clean it. Sometimes a clear case turns brown when it gets covered with dirt, debris, and oily stains. A dirty phone case is still as durable, flexible, and reliable as a new one. You can clean it with household cleaners at home easily.
How to Clean a Clear Phone Case?
It is not challenging to clean a clear phone case to give it a neat and glossy look. You can easily clean it yourself with no effort by following one of the following methods.
Method 1. Clean with Baking Soda and Vinegar
The easiest and the best method to clean a clear phone case using household items is by cleaning it with baking soda and vinegar. You need a small amount of baking soda, a half cup of vinegar, and an old toothbrush to follow this easy procedure.
- Put your phone case in a small container.
- Sprinkle a few pinches of baking soda onto the phone case.
- Add 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1/2 cup of water in it.
- Let the mixture remain on the cover for 2 hours.
- Take an old toothbrush and scrub the case with it.
- Finally, wash the case, dry it with a cloth, and let it air dry for an hour before placing it back on your mobile phone.
Method 2. Clean with Dish Soap and Water
If you want to clean a clear phone case by hand, dish soap is the best thing you can use. It is not best only for washing dishes, but it can also clean a phone case perfectly to make it look new.
- Add two drops of dish soap to a bowl of hot water and stir it.
- Scrub the outside of your case in a circular motion with a soft cloth or toothbrush. Scrub all the difficult-to-reach areas, such as the camera slot, the buttons, and the charging port-holes.
- Rinse it with running water to remove any soap. If stains and marks are still there, apply more soapy water and then re-rinse it.
- Once your case is clean, dry it with a soft cloth and allow it to air dry for 1 hour.
This method is quick to perform and recommended to try once a week for your case to make it look fresh and new. It is also safe to clean other non-transparent phone cases using this method.
Method 3. Clean with Rubbing Alcohol
Cleaning a phone case with rubbing alcohol is a safe and effective method to remove stubborn stains that you can not remove with soapy water. Take a soft cloth, grab rubbing alcohol and start the process following the steps below.
- Scrub your phone case with small amounts of rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth. You can also use a spray container to apply the rubbing alcohol directly.
- After cleaning the exterior and interior of the case, wipe it down with a soft dry cloth to remove any chemical left.
- Let it air dry in a well-ventilated area, or wipe it down with a dry microfiber cloth to absorb any leftover droplets.
How to Prevent Clear Cases from Turning Yellow Next Time?
Following the above methods, you can clean your clear cases if they contain stains, dirt, or oily marks. However, if a clear case turns yellow due to silicon properties, you can not make it fully clear like a new one.
Even if you bought a new one, you can’t prevent it from turning yellow after some days. However, you can try the following tips to keep it clear and transparent as long as possible.
- Wash it once a week to keep all stains, marks, and dust away from the case.
- Restrict exposure to direct sunlight to increase its life as much as possible.
- Keep it away from excessive heat as it can boost the yellowing process speed.
- Don’t buy cheap cases as they are low in quality and turn yellow rapidly.